Clifton Suspension Bridge. A magnificent structure spanning the Avon Gorge. It hangs 245 feet above high water level, and is 702 feet in length from pier to pier. The foundation stone was laid in 1836, the work of construction abandoned in 1853, resumed in 1861 and the completed structure opened on Dec. 8th 1864. The cost was about £100,000. [card caption]
The photograph is by Harvey Barton and Son Ltd of Bristol, and the New Year greeting would have been overprinted on one of their regular stock cards. It was posted from Clifton on 25 November 1912 to Miss Ceci Brodie, Lake St John, Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand.